Hawker cravings @ Lorong 1 Toa Payoh

while we singaporeans are suckers for cafe, there will always be a part of us who will be tired from all these western cravings and actually want a meal of hawker delight. Growing up in Toa Payoh for the best part of my life, let me show you some of the best hawker food you can find around Lorong 1. Although there are many good hawker stalls around the area, these are my favourite. 

1. 26 Carrot Cake (5Hands)



To me, the very best black carrot cake around. I love my carrot cakes black and this old uncle fries it to perfection. Normally, i'd order it extra black extra egg. Sweet, savoury which hits are the right spots. One more thing, this plate only cost $2! 


2. Come daily Hokkien Mee (4Hands)



Again, one of the better hokkien mee around. At times you gotta wait at least 50 mins for a plate of this noodles. The hokkien mee here is more of the wet and sticky kind. The noodles are cooked in much broth, where the end result leads to noodles that are infused with yummy prawn stalk. 

3. Teochew Handmade Pau





There are the teck kee paus, the tiong bahru paus, the paus from dimsum joints, but the best paus for me is here in this market. With most of the paus made into miniature size, you can easily eat half a dozen, popping them into your mouth. Personally, i favour their mini char siew paus and the mini stewed pork paus. 


Lorong 1 Market and Food Centre
127 Lorong 1 Toa Payoh
Singapore 310127
nearby MRTs: braddell


** Note that the market normally opens in the morning and its best to go there for breakfast. Enjoy your breakfast folks! Also, after these irresistible hawker fares you can pop next door to have Creamier (click on the link to check my review on creamier's waffles!) !




follow me on instagram: @shauneeie or like my facebook page: @shauneeie for more foodie escapades

Labels: , ,